Monday, December 16, 2013

Big Bellies for Trash!

The Greater Seattle Metropolitan area is going “belly up” for green technology.  Big Belly Solar is a Massachusetts company that is using technology in an innovative way to solve some of the most pervasive issues around municipal litter collection.  Their unique solar-powered compactor system attacks the litter problem on several fronts:

  • The fully enclosed design prevents weather or pests from scattering trash from bins
  • The compacting system allows their collectors to hold a greater volume of trash and therefore require less frequent collection.
  •  The units are internet-connected, and will notify their handlers electronically when they need collection

The results sound promising.  The University of Washington piloted Big Belly compactors beginning in 2011, and have realized savings as a result.   Similar programs have been started in my town of Kirkland, as well as in the City of Seattle.  It makes sense that this high tech hub would embrace this innovative combination of well-tested technologies, and by all indications the investment is paying off.  I happily deposit my daily picks in Big Belly compactors such as this one near the bus stop at Yale and Stewart.

Of course, I have my own challenges around a big belly.  Before leaving my Eastside job to work in Seattle I was rock climbing two days or more a week.  Before that I spent a couple of years studying capoeira through the excellent program at Capoeira Malês.  And prior to that, I was spending mornings before work at Crossroads Skate Park in Bellevue.

My morning workout, circa 2006 (Photo by Huck Productions)

All that ended when I started working in Seattle and traded my exercise time for 2 hours a day of commuting.  The warm season sees me swimming (and picking up marine litter).  The rest of the year, I take as much time as I can to walk.  Walking takes me to the streets, and gives me ample opportunity to dispose of one or more pieces of litter a day.  I guess you could say collecting litter helps me control my big belly, much like the way Big Belly is helping Seattle deal with litter.  

What comes around, goes around.  Make sure what goes on the ground winds up in the garbage!

No comments:

Post a Comment